Thursday, March 22, 2012

Architecture advice

I need some advice on architecture.
I am a newbie to SQL Server, but a long time Access and FrontPage developer.
With these two apps, I have a "publish to the web" mentality, so I have
envisioned having my development SQL Server database on my local harddisk
and periodically "publishing" it to my production SQL Server out on the
Internet. (By development server, I mean where data creation and update is
accomplished.)
My idea: Update the production SQL Server periodically (weekly) from the
development server, but I need to capture data received from users on the
production server, then edit and merge on the development server for later
republishing to the production server. Alternatively, all data updates could
be done on the production server with backups to the local harddisk server.
Problem: My Internet SQL Server provider does NOT allow replication nor the
creation or implementation of DTS packages, but does support the DTS
import/export functions to a point of connection to and selection of my
database.
Which would be best approach to implement given the ISP's restrictions? Or
can you suggest another approach?
Many thanks for your expertise to point me in the right direction.
CharaxDo all your production changes on your production server,
and don't mix your Dev server with your prod server. If
you really need to do things first on your Dev server and
then publish 'it' to the prod server, you should then
treat your dev server as a prod server unless of course
by 'publishing' you meant scheduled releases in a
controlled fashion.
Linchi
>--Original Message--
>I need some advice on architecture.
>I am a newbie to SQL Server, but a long time Access and
FrontPage developer.
>With these two apps, I have a "publish to the web"
mentality, so I have
>envisioned having my development SQL Server database on
my local harddisk
>and periodically "publishing" it to my production SQL
Server out on the
>Internet. (By development server, I mean where data
creation and update is
>accomplished.)
>My idea: Update the production SQL Server periodically
(weekly) from the
>development server, but I need to capture data received
from users on the
>production server, then edit and merge on the development
server for later
>republishing to the production server. Alternatively, all
data updates could
>be done on the production server with backups to the
local harddisk server.
>Problem: My Internet SQL Server provider does NOT allow
replication nor the
>creation or implementation of DTS packages, but does
support the DTS
>import/export functions to a point of connection to and
selection of my
>database.
>Which would be best approach to implement given the ISP's
restrictions? Or
>can you suggest another approach?
>Many thanks for your expertise to point me in the right
direction.
>Charax
>
>.
>|||Thanks for the quick response, Linchi. Yes, you are quite right and my
terminology was wrong. (Remember, I'm an SQL server newbie!)
I now will call the server on my local harddisk the 'production' server. The
production server has the most current data and any changes to data or
database structure are made there. The ISP's SQL Server on the Internet is
simply a copy of the production server that web users can access -- let's
call it the 'slave'. Is this a reasonable architecture?
If so, how do you recommend that I update the slave server on the Internet
from the production server on local harddisk? Please keep in mind that the
slave server does not support replication, and only supports the DTS
import/export functions to a point of connection to and selection of my
database. On my local production server, I have all replication and DTS
features.
Many thanks for your ideas and help to a new guy.
Charax
"Linchi Shea" <linchi_shea@.NOSPAMml.com> wrote in message
news:339801c3e1c8$08021990$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> Do all your production changes on your production server,
> and don't mix your Dev server with your prod server. If
> you really need to do things first on your Dev server and
> then publish 'it' to the prod server, you should then
> treat your dev server as a prod server unless of course
> by 'publishing' you meant scheduled releases in a
> controlled fashion.
> Linchisql

No comments:

Post a Comment