Sunday, March 25, 2012

Architecture question...can this be done?

All,
I have a question about setting up sql server in a particular
architecture. Below is a diagram of my situation:
[sql server] [XYZ server]
[clients A] -- [nic #1] [nic #1]
-- [clients B]
[nic #2] -- [nic #2]
The A clients can see the sql server fine. However, I want the B
clients to see the sql server also. The connection between the two
"#2" nic cards must be over a single tcp/ip port for security reasons.
Is there any way to do this? I am trying to avoid putting another
replicated sql server on XYZ server.
What about a proxy app on XYZ server? Couldn't I some how set up a
proxy to redirect a tcp/ip port traffic to the sql server? Is this
possible:
1. Set up the sql server to listen to both it's NIC's IP Addresses on
Port 1443.
2. Client B requests a connection from XYZ server's
NIC1_IP_ADDR,Port1443
3. The proxy redirects traffic to NIC2_IP_ADDR,Port1443 ... ?
Am I on the right track? If anyone has any other suggestions in
solving this problem, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
sorry my diagram was to big:
[sql server] [XYZ servr]
[clients A] --[nic #1] [nic #1]--[Clients B]
[nic #2]--[nic #2]
|||Have you asked your network folks to use the route add command to configure
a route between clients B and sql server?
http://www.zetainteractive.com - Shift Happens!
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
<jonbaxter28@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:a59f0367-d8bc-4b9e-ae10-b5881750455d@.e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> All,
> I have a question about setting up sql server in a particular
> architecture. Below is a diagram of my situation:
> [sql server] [XYZ server]
> [clients A] -- [nic #1] [nic #1]
> -- [clients B]
> [nic #2] -- [nic #2]
>
> The A clients can see the sql server fine. However, I want the B
> clients to see the sql server also. The connection between the two
> "#2" nic cards must be over a single tcp/ip port for security reasons.
> Is there any way to do this? I am trying to avoid putting another
> replicated sql server on XYZ server.
> What about a proxy app on XYZ server? Couldn't I some how set up a
> proxy to redirect a tcp/ip port traffic to the sql server? Is this
> possible:
> 1. Set up the sql server to listen to both it's NIC's IP Addresses on
> Port 1443.
> 2. Client B requests a connection from XYZ server's
> NIC1_IP_ADDR,Port1443
> 3. The proxy redirects traffic to NIC2_IP_ADDR,Port1443 ... ?
> Am I on the right track? If anyone has any other suggestions in
> solving this problem, I would really appreciate it.
> Thanks
>
|||On Dec 14, 9:36 pm, "Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cot...@.gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you asked your network folks to use the route add command to configure
> a route between clients B and sql server?
>
No I have not. I looked at the route command and this is the command
for route add:
route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
destination^ ^mask ^gateway metric^ ^
Interface^
I am pretty sure the destination would be ip addr of nic#2 on the sql
server, but I am not sure about the other two parms (mask and
gateway). I assume that mask would be the subnet mask that could
identify the destination (nic#2 sqlserver). I am also assuming the
gateway would be nic#1 on XYZ Server, since it could reach the
mask... Am I on the right track?
|||yes, you are correct. Your network admin should be able to help you here
though.
http://www.zetainteractive.com - Shift Happens!
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
<jonbaxter28@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:842426ce-f03c-4c73-b581-14370d77d2d7@.b40g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> On Dec 14, 9:36 pm, "Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cot...@.gmail.com> wrote:
> No I have not. I looked at the route command and this is the command
> for route add:
> route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
> destination^ ^mask ^gateway metric^ ^
> Interface^
> I am pretty sure the destination would be ip addr of nic#2 on the sql
> server, but I am not sure about the other two parms (mask and
> gateway). I assume that mask would be the subnet mask that could
> identify the destination (nic#2 sqlserver). I am also assuming the
> gateway would be nic#1 on XYZ Server, since it could reach the
> mask... Am I on the right track?

No comments:

Post a Comment