Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Archiving Problem

Hi!
The SQL Server Express run several versions of an Archive file, such as
Archive #1, etc. under 'SQL Server Logs'.
What is generating these archives? Also, How can I see what has been
archived? Can I stop the server from doing this or needed for to operate?
Thank you very much!
-BahmanHI
"Bahman" wrote:

> Hi!
> The SQL Server Express run several versions of an Archive file, such as
> Archive #1, etc. under 'SQL Server Logs'.
> What is generating these archives? Also, How can I see what has been
> archived? Can I stop the server from doing this or needed for to operate?
> Thank you very much!
> -Bahman
>
These are old versions of the ERRORLOG file. A new ERRORLOG is created when
you restart SQL Server or run sp_cycle_errorlog. The file will be ERRORLOG.1
ERRORLOG.2 etc.. in the LOGS directory. The Displayed name in SSMS and EM
will have the date and time that the log goes up to. More information is in
Books online.
John|||John,
Thanks a million. I guess the word archive was throwing me off. I was
looking in the wrong place. Somehow I thought it is archiving, so that I can
restore from it. But no info on that anywhere. Thank you very much for your
help.
-Bahman
"John Bell" wrote:

> HI
> "Bahman" wrote:
>
> These are old versions of the ERRORLOG file. A new ERRORLOG is created whe
n
> you restart SQL Server or run sp_cycle_errorlog. The file will be ERRORLOG
.1
> ERRORLOG.2 etc.. in the LOGS directory. The Displayed name in SSMS and EM
> will have the date and time that the log goes up to. More information is i
n
> Books online.
> John
>

No comments:

Post a Comment