Sunday, March 25, 2012

Architecture question.

Hi
I have a Windows Form running in 40 clients around the city, those apps are
communicating with a central SQLDB hosted in a hosting company (each one is
sending data, waiting for data comparisons and receiving the data back). I
have been using a Web Service to make the link between my apps and the SQLDB
,
but now I want to connect my Windows Form apps directly to de SQLServer
(because I think the roundtrip is going to be faster, which is the most
important factor in my app)
My question to the architects and everyone:
Is this a good, secure, recommended, intelligent practice or this is a big
big mistake '
thks
kengood - Prototype it and see. Depends on the specific case usage and
implementation. You may find that the old style tightly coupled connection
is faster.
secure - Unencrypted xml is easier to intercept and read than unencrypted
native sql network calls. Using an encrypted protocol, it makes little
difference between the two.
recommended, intelligent practice or this is a big big mistake - Consider
the above and decide based on your requirement priorities.
"Kenny M." <KennyM@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:72C3EF9C-7DF4-4C85-A43B-8CE0C5E63388@.microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I have a Windows Form running in 40 clients around the city, those apps
are
> communicating with a central SQLDB hosted in a hosting company (each one
is
> sending data, waiting for data comparisons and receiving the data back). I
> have been using a Web Service to make the link between my apps and the
SQLDB,
> but now I want to connect my Windows Form apps directly to de SQLServer
> (because I think the roundtrip is going to be faster, which is the most
> important factor in my app)
> My question to the architects and everyone:
> Is this a good, secure, recommended, intelligent practice or this is a big
> big mistake '
>
> thks
> ken

No comments:

Post a Comment