Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Are _WA_Sys_ statistics indexes an indicator of what should be indexed?

I know these are just statistics placeholders, but I am wondering if
they might be a good hint into what fields should be indexed. Any
comments?
Example:
_WA_Sys_DisplayName_0B27A5C0 - Should I index DisplayName?
_WA_Sys_CreatedDate_0B27A5C0 - Should I index CreatedDate?
_WA_Sys_CreatedBy_0B27A5C0 - Should I index CreatedBy?Hi Joshua,
Auto generated statistics on a column are indeed a good indicator that the
column might have to be indexed. Keep in mind though that statistics are
created the first time the column is accessed as part of a where clause,
join, group by, order by etc, and that that may also be the last time. In
other words, check that the column is indeed used more or less regularly
before you start creating indexes everywhere.
Jacco Schalkwijk
SQL Server MVP
"Joshua Guttman" <joshuaguttman@.excite.com> wrote in message
news:5a7a8917.0401291329.57833b2@.posting.google.com...
quote:

> I know these are just statistics placeholders, but I am wondering if
> they might be a good hint into what fields should be indexed. Any
> comments?
> Example:
> _WA_Sys_DisplayName_0B27A5C0 - Should I index DisplayName?
> _WA_Sys_CreatedDate_0B27A5C0 - Should I index CreatedDate?
> _WA_Sys_CreatedBy_0B27A5C0 - Should I index CreatedBy?

No comments:

Post a Comment